November 27, 2010

Travels from a Tea Cup: Washington DC

One of the last times I got a chance to visit our nation's capital, I was sure to take in the sites, including a trip to the National Gallery museum and of course, a stop for a spotta tea.  In one trip I hit two places - from having lunch and tea with my best friend at Teaism at Dupont Circle, to enjoying a day alone to romp about DC and happening across Ching Ching Cha. That my best friend happens to live on the Maryland side of DC means that I happen upon DC fairly often.

So this last trip, the only thing I HAD to do was to go check out ZenTara Teas.  Since their opening (in the beginning of 2010), I have been excited about stopping in.  I think I found them on Twitter and started following them. Located in Bethesda, MD, just 2.5 blocks from the Red Line on the Metro.

Of course what I found was a perfectly inviting place.  Zen Tara Tea has over 100 teas to choose from, but a wall of tea wares, accessories and gifts - all of which would be a glad addition to my set (Holiday Hint!)  In the time that I sat there, I managed to go through 4 pots of tea.  And of course I bought my favorite: Earl Grey with Roses. They also had a light fare (a little East meets West) and some baked goods.

While they are still in their first year of business, it would look like the good people at Zen Tara Tea have ingratiated themselves into the neighborhood.  I saw friends catching up, young families coming in for a rest, people reading books, people writing and others working on their laptops.  This is the kind of place that you want to spend time!A little safe haven open from 8am - 8pm every day (except Mondays).

They also have a tasting room and a whole Calendar of Events. I wish I lived in the area so that I could attend some of the events which they host monthly.  These people know from good tea...

So during my time, I go the chance to speak with the gentleman who's running the show. And I lazily spent 2 hours, taking in the rush and buzz of people, writing in my journal and generally reflecting on my trip overall. And overall, I must say, that I can't wait to make it back to Zen Tara Teas!

No comments: